Tuesday, January 27, 2009

EYES

Her eyes cried for help in our group session. Twenty plus one year old, five months pregnant from an over 40 control freak. Our subject matter was how to prevent harmful fights and she knew hers was escalating.

My partner and I picked up on her swollen eyes. Control freak sat there watching her every move. I had to speak to her alone. I had to ask her one question....

"Do you want to leave?"

I can go on and on about this situation that happened last night. NO he hadn't hit her yet - but hmmm does it matter if you push and trip a pregnant woman on to the floor??? "OHHH he didn't hit you....."

"Sorry - she doesn't meet the criteria."

Those were the words of a representative at House of Ruth. The script she followed denied this young lady a safe space because she wasn't "hit". So when she becomes a top story on the news -could she get in then???

3 comments:

  1. unbelievably sad. i don't think i would be able to do what you do. listening to someone's story is one thing, but actually seeing their physical/mental pain & anguish...let alone, the actual SOURCE...right there in front of my eyes. lord help that man...i would lose it.

    keeping fighting for this one laura. she may not admit it...but she needs you.

    whoever this criteria "gate-keeper" is really needs to update the fine print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. absofreakinlutely John - the organization is on it - I was somehow born with what i do - I've done it always - it's my makeup - which is sometimes why I fidgit in my 8-4 seat:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. i have to echo john when i say incredibly sad. i hope she gets help.

    ReplyDelete